January 2019 Meeting
The January 2019 meeting of LRUG will be on Monday the 14th of January, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (meeting start at 6:30pm). The venue, Code Node between Moorgate and Liverpool St. stations, is provided by Skills Matter. Full venue and registration details are given below.
As is tradition, our first meeting of 2019 will be a slightly different kind of thing. Instead of talks, we'll be pulling all our not-suitable-for-production Ruby tricks out of the bag and playing a few rounds of Ruby Golf!
For those unfamiliar with this, put your clubs away: code golfing is where you try to solve a programming problem using the fewest possible number of characters. Unlike the rest of the time, we don't care about elegance, we don't care about readability, and we definitely don't care about performance – make it short, then make it shorter!
Some quick tips to get you going:
- Descriptive local variable names? No thanks:
cwill do just fine.
- Why use
collectwhen you can use
- You may wish to
}yourself, lest you
doworse in the
- Bring your laptop and a recent Ruby version! Anything 2.2 and up should be fine
- We think this'll be more fun if you work in teams, so you can pool your ideas – chances are that you know a trick or two that others haven't seen, and vice versa
- We will provide a repository of code which you can clone on the day. This will contain tests to give you confidence that your solution works, along with some helpers to count characters fairly across everyone participating
There are no official prizes, just bragging rights in the pub afterwards. Speaking of…
We aim to finish by 8pm (although it may over-run depending on how much fun we're having!).
If you'd like to socialise with other LRUG attendees afterwards you have two choices:
- Code Node. Skills Matter run a cash bar with a choice of drinks (hard and soft) available. As well as other LRUG members you can network with attendees of the other meetups that Skills Matter are hosting on the same night.
- The Singer Tavern. This bar is a short walk north from Code Node (you can find it at 1 City Road, EC1Y 1AG). This pub has a decent food menu on offer as well as a selection of drinks and other LRUG attendees to help you while the evening away.
Regardless of what you choose to do, please remember that this part of the meeting is still covered by our code of conduct even though it does seem more informal.
If you can't attend the talks we'd still be very happy to see you at this part of the meeting. Do come along!
Venue & Registration
The address of the venue:
Skills Matter CodeNode
10 South Place
See on a map
To secure a place at the meeting you must register with our hosts Skills Matter. It helps to make sure we have the room laid out with enough chairs, and in extreme cases that we get priority on the larger rooms over other groups using the space on the same night. Also, it's good manners, so please do register with Skills Matter.
Posted by James on Jan 08, 2019