January 2018 Meeting
The January 2018 meeting of LRUG will be on Monday the 8th of January, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (meeting start at 6:30pm). The venue, Code Node between Moorgate and Liverpool St. stations, is provided by Skills Matter. Full venue and registration details are given below.
Our first meeting of 2018 will be a slightly different kind of thing. Instead of talks there'll be a quiz. We did this in 2007 and 2013 so if you attended those you'll know what to expect. If not the details are below
The quiz will be run as 5 separate rounds. The first four are themed on the words in LRUG (London, Ruby, Users, and Group). The 5th round is a picture round which will be given to each team to complete throughout the evening and marked at the end. The picture round questions will be based around the same 4 themes as the other rounds.
- Round 1: London
- Round 2: Ruby (more community and history than technical details)
- Round 3: Users (famous and historical people)
- Round 4: Group (music)
- Round 5: picture round
Each round will have 10 questions, but there'll be bonus points available throughout the quiz for exceptional answers.
- Teams should have no more than 4 members (we may adjust this up or down on the night depending on attendance or prize divisibility).
- Utilising internet devices to obtain answers is strictly forbidden - we expect you to use your onboard brain, not your outboard one.
- The quiz master's word is final in any disputes.
Our lovely sponsors have donated the following:
Parcels of Pact coffee provided by:
3-month subscriptions to Ruby Tapas provided by:
We're still looking for more sponsors to provide prizes for the winners. If we have enough prizes some of the runners up will also get prizes. If you can help us out please do get in touch with us at email@example.com. Other than the warm glow in your stomach of helping us out the benefits of sponsorship are explained on our readme site.
We aim to finish the quiz by 8pm (although it may over-run depending on how long the marking and prize-giving takes). There's bound to be some heated debate about how cruel the questions were and how your particularly funny ruby pun-based team name was robbed of the best team-name bonus. If you'd like to socialise with other LRUG attendees afterwards you have two choices:
- Code Node. Skills Matter run a cash bar with a choice of drinks (hard and soft) available. As well as other LRUG members you can network with attendees of the other meetups that Skills Matter are hosting on the same night.
- The Singer Tavern. This bar is a short walk north from Code Node (you can find it at 1 City Road, EC1Y 1AG). This pub has a decent food menu on offer as well as a selection of drinks and other LRUG attendees to help you while the evening away.
Regardless of what you choose to do, please remember that this part of the meeting is still covered by our code of conduct even though it does seem more informal.
If you can't attend the talks we'd still be very happy to see you at this part of the meeting. Do come along!
The address of the venue:
Skills Matter CodeNode
10 South Place
See on a map
To secure a place at the meeting you must register with our hosts Skills Matter. It helps to make sure we have the room laid out with enough chairs, and in extreme cases that we get priority on the larger rooms over other groups using the space on the same night. Also, it's good manners, so please do register with Skills Matter.
Posted by Murray Steele on Dec 16, 2017