June 2016 Meeting
The June 2016 meeting of LRUG will be on Monday the 13th of June, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (talks start at 6:30pm). The venue, Code Node between Moorgate and Liverpool St. stations, is provided by Skills Matter. Full venue and registration details are given below.
Hacking Your Head : Managing Information Overload
Jo Pearce says:
There are limits to our ability to learn and process information. Overload impacts productivity by causing psychological and physiological stress. I’ll relate findings from cognitive psychology that help us understand how, as developers, we might be overloading ourselves and what to do about it.
- Hacking Your Head : Managing Information Overload (extended)
- Skills Matter : Skills Cast : Hacking your head - Managing information overload
Open Sesame: A beginners guide to passwords
Rob Kitromilides says:
What goes on when you log in to a website? How does it work? Why should you care?
Refactoring a monolith with rails engines
Tom Close says:
12 months ago we were facing a number of problems familiar in an early stage startup:
- a monolithic codebase that had accumulated a lot of technical debt
- a requirement to handle complex business processes that were changing quickly as the business scaled
- a growing development team struggling to enable new hires to be effective quickly
We initially considered moving to a micro-service architecture but eventually settled on using rails engines to refactor our monolith, allowing us to make immediate gains in productivity whilst avoiding the operational complexity of a distributed system. The talk will cover the approach we are taking in this (ongoing) refactor, the rules we found we needed to play by, and the lessons we learned along the way.
These talks will end by 8pm which is quite early, so if you'd like to continue the evening in the company of other LRUG folk you can:
- Hang out in the downstairs area at Code Node. Skills Matter run a cash bar and you can mingle with attendees of other meetups held that night.
- Take a short walk northwards and visit the Singer Tavern (located at 1 City Road, EC1Y 1AG). Many LRUG folk head here to get something to eat with their post-talk drinks, and you'd be more than welcome to join them.
Attendance of the talks isn't required if you'd like to come along just for this part of the meeting. Perhaps if you're unable to make the talks you can secure a table for us?
Venue & Registration
The address of the venue:
Skills Matter CodeNode
10 South Place
See on a map
To secure a place at the meeting you must register with our hosts Skills Matter. It helps to make sure we have the room laid out with enough chairs, and in extreme cases that we get priority on the larger rooms over other groups using the space on the same night. Also, it's good manners, so please do register with Skills Matter.
You can also find this meeting on lanyrd, but this is not a meaningful way to tell us you wish to attend. We mostly use it after the meeting to collect artefacts about the talks like videos, slides, writeups, code, etc.
Posted by Murray Steele on May 24, 2016