June 2011 Meeting
The June 2011 meeting of LRUG will be on Monday the 13th of June, from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Our hosts Skills Matter will be providing the space, at their offices on Goswell Road; The Skills Matter eXchange. It's a great space with plenty of room for the group, but you still need to register to let Skills Matter know you are coming.
Here's My Gem
The plan for this month's meeting is to have several local rubyists talk about gems that they have written. To let them give their gem a wider audience, and to show off that the LRUG community is a prolific bunch. Confirmed so far:
- Paul Battley - htmlentities - HTMLEntities is a simple library to facilitate encoding and decoding of named or numerical entities in HTML and XHTML documents.
- Ismael Celis - hash_mapper, jbundle, or anisoptera
- Paul Fedory - RolePlay - RolePlay is a simple gem that provides roles for ActiveRecord objects (typically a user model, giving them the role of administrator or moderator. As well as covering RolePlay, Paul will also cover tips for upgrading gems to have Rails 3 compatibility.
- Phil Nash - Asset Hat - Asset Hat deals with asset optimisation once Rails has done it's job, getting your assets from your server to your user faster.
- Andrew Nesbitt - Split - Rack based split testing framework
- Matthew Sadler - http_tools - A fast-as-possible pure Ruby HTTP parser plus associated lower level utilities to aid working with HTTP and the web.
- Tom Stuart - Matahari - A test-spy library, inspired by Mockito and RR
As is usual we'll decamp from Skills Matter's offices to The Slaughtered Lamb for a drink or two after the talks. It's only a short walk away so we'll be there from about 8pm onwards. If you can't make the main meeting then feel free to pitch up just for the pub-bit. There's usually some rubyists there until closing time, so you're bound to find someone to talk to no matter what time you make it over.
Skills Matter prefer that you register your attendance with them if you are coming to the meeting. There's plenty of space so you'll get in if you forget, but it is polite (don't forget MINASWAN), so please do register.
You can also follow this meeting on lanyrd, but be aware this is not a meaningful way to tell Skills Matter you wish to attending. It's just for the lols, innit?
Posted by Murray Steele on May 23, 2011